Saturday, May 23, 2009

Our cat Camille

This is our cat Camille.






She was born the day after Owen's first birthday, outside underneath his bedroom window (we often see her laying/sleeping in the spot she was born). Her mother was a stray that Chloe named Star. She had four kittens, two black ones we named Ebony and Pepper, Camille, and a striped one named Tigger. Two weeks after they were born we went on vacation to the beach. My parents took care of our dog and the cats. I talked to them on the phone in the middle of the week and when I asked if everything was okay at home, Dad said Star had been ran over by a car and they were feeding the kittens with a dropper. We didn't think they would survive. When we got home I took over feeding them and bathing them. They all lived and were so cute. When they were old enough we put up a flyer for free kittens with their picture on the bulletin board at our local gas station. While I was gone one day, Danny was watching the kids, and a man called about the kittens. He came to get two of them. He wanted Camille (the prettiest one) and Tigger. Chloe grabbed the kittens, ran in the house with them and was crying and saying the man couldn't have them. Danny told the man he should come back when I was home. Finally we decided he would take Tigger and Ebony. Someone else got Pepper but Chloe wouldn't let Camille go. She put her in her bicycle basket and rode her around and played with her like a baby.

Now Camille is almost five and is quite the hunter. She lives outside and is constantly bringing us her latest catch for us to see. Mice, moles, chipmunks, a few birds, and even a couple rabbits. Chloe once had a funeral for one of the chipmunks. We watched her chase a mole the other day:






A couple days ago there was a dead chipmunk on the sidewalk. I didn't see it and almost stepped on it. When I saw it I jumped out of the way and let out a yell. Phoebe looked at me like she thought I was being silly and said "It's just Alvin". I think she's too used to dead critters being on the sidewalk. I also think she has watched Alvin and the Chipmunks one too many times.

4 comments:

SaRaH said...

If she catches moles, she deserves fancy feast, catnip, and all the the little bell toys she can handle.

Nellie said...

She is beautiful. No wonder Chloe wanted to keep her, so badly.

Unknown said...

OMG. "It's just Alvin." I just about spit out my tea! Freaking hilarious.

Lolita Breckenridge said...

I choked on my hummus at "It's just Alvin." Camille is beautiful.