Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Just call me Ma Ingalls

I might as well be living in the Little House on the Praire. Our electricity was off AGAIN yesterday. It went off at about 4:15 am to which I said out loud, "You have got to be kidding me". No ice. No wind. No storm. Just no power. I get up a couple hours later to the phone ringing. My friend and neighbor called, then my next door neighbor. I get the kids up and get them ready for school in the dark. We go to the bus stop. We wait. And wait. My friend who waits at the same bus stop, turns on her radio and they announce there is no school for our elementary school because there is no electricity. Great. I'd gotten everyone up when we could have slept in. So we went to Walmart. We thought by the time we got home the power would be back on, because first when we called the dear power company, they said it would be back on at 7:30am. (Then it was 9:30am, then 12:30pm, then 8:30pm, then it was 10:30pm.) We are gone a few hours and when we get home, still no power. A little later, Pa Ingalls hooked up the generator for us and we could at least watch tv, Owen could play his Playstation 2, and we could run the refrigerator.

I cooked dinner on the campstove and Pa had to go to work. The kids and I camped out in the living room to sleep. Finally the power came back on at 10:30. I did dishes and took a bath, got on the computer, and picked up the mess I couldn't see in the dark. Today I'm catching up on laundry. The kids and I didn't sleep well last night and I thought when Phoebe took her nap today I would too. I was looking forward to it because I stayed up late and didn't sleep much. It turns out I won't get to now, because I have to help do the fluoride rinse at school that we were supposed to do yesterday. I'll try not to complain, because at least I have electricity.

(To clarify, I know Ma Ingalls didn't have a generator so she could still watch American Idol, or Nintendo DSs to keep her kids busy. I'm pretty sure she still cooked a big meal after milking the cow and killing a snake. God bless her.)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

LMAO. You go, frontier girl!

I am Mary S. said...

I'm sorry!

But oh, looking at the picture of those two makes me feel all warm in my heart.

Lolita Breckenridge said...

Only you would have the good spirit to make light of this. I'd be mean to everyone. Hope it gets back on soon!

Dawn said...

If it makes you feel any better at all, I have to tell you that I LOVE Caroline Ingalls!

SaRaH said...

I never saw Ma do any farmwork. She's lazy and spoiled compared to you. I'm sure of it.

word: janutpod

SaRaH said...

oh, and my brother used to call me "nelly" (i think) to make me cry.