Sunday, March 29, 2009

Be like Mary

At our Sunday School I teach the little ones. Our lesson today was about Jesus visiting Mary and Martha. Martha hurried around cooking and cleaning for her company. Mary sat by Jesus and listened. Martha was mad at her for not helping. She complained to Jesus that Martha wasn't helping her. Jesus told her to be more like Mary and listen. It reminds me of the Bible verse in Psalms that says Be still, and know that I am God. Sometimes I rush around and do all the many things that need to be done and I don't take the time to be still and listen. I'm going to try and be more like Mary.

Sometimes I'm too busy around the house and I should probably let some things go and sit down and play more with the kids, or have some quiet time. I like this poem (by Sabrina Taylor) I recently read in a book called Life Lessons for Busy Moms.

Too Busy
The dishes are still in the sink.
Dirty laundry is piled high.
Somehow the entire day,
Seemed to just fly by.
I made a "to-do" list.
I meant to follow through.
But there were other tasks,
That needed attention too.
Like cheering on my daughter,
As she took first steps into my arms,
Making sure she stayed safe,
From all potential harms.
Cuddling on the couch,
And reading a favorite story.
Helping her explore the world,
And marvel at all its glory.
So the chores will have to wait.
They aren't that important anyway.
Because I was simply too busy,
Loving my child today.



So this week I want to be like Mary and listen to God, and to try not to be too busy to focus on the important things!

8 comments:

Miss Lisa said...

Read "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World"--it goes with what you are saying :)

We read for bible group and loved it!

Hez said...

Love the poem. I just shared it with some friends... thanks!

SaRaH said...

I'm going to give being still a try, too. Thanks for the reminder.

Jacque said...

Lisa,
I've never heard of that book, but I will look for it now. Thanks!

Unknown said...

We were talking about this (sort of) at the Mommy Revolution last week. Focusing on what's important. Truly important.

Nellie said...

I sat still yesterday in my recliner just for a moment. I accidentally fell asleep. I missed my yoga class, and then had to stay up late and type a test. I do feel like I'm just managing to keep my head above the flood most days.

Unknown said...

I admit, when I first saw the title to your post, I thought you were talking about me. LOL

But I think that's great.

Jacque said...

Mary, I thought of you when I wrote that title, and wondered if you'd think that. :)