Monday, December 1, 2008

Joys, not burdens

This time of the year always makes me more thoughtful and reflective of my life. We have Thanksgiving where we think of the things we're thankful for, and then Christmas where we should again be thankful for all we've been given, including the birth of Jesus. I recently read in a book about seeing things as joys, not burdens. Honestly, I sometimes feel burdened by life and everything that needs done. Instead, I should feel joyful that I have children to take care of because they are my greatest joy, dishes to wash because I have food, clothes to wash because we have clothing to wear, a house to clean because I have a home, etc. So now when I feel like something is a burden, instead I'm going to think of how it is a joy.

I bought a few little Christmas devotional books for us to do this month. In one book (31 Family Devotions for Christmas by MariLee Parish) today's verse is:
Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Colossians 3:15
The devotion goes on to say that although Thanksgiving is over, we should not forget to continue being thankful into the Christmas season. It says to be grateful and let peace permeate your thoughts and actions this Christmas. Instead of beginning this month worrying about money and gifts and a busy schedule, ask the Lord to rule in your heart.

Let us make this month of Decemeber a time of love, hope, and joy.

2 comments:

Miss Lisa said...

It's the reason for the season :)

Dawn said...

What a wonderful way to look at the things! I think I will try that too! :)