Sunday, December 7, 2008

Ice, Ice, Baby

Yesterday Chloe and I went into town to help decorate, and take food, for a party. On the way it started snowing. It got slick fast. I am terrified of driving in the snow. I had Chloe with me because she had piano lessons in the afternoon. Mom kept Owen and Phoebe while Danny hunted. We slid once on the way and couldn't get stopped. While we were at the party site, with my sister Betsy, it kept snowing. As we both tried to leave we realized it was nothing but ice. I slid once and went very slowly, and prayed a lot. Luckily, our aunt has a store in town and we all went there. Betsy tried three times to get home (but had to come back to the store). I, being the chicken that I am, called Danny. He came and picked us up in his four wheel drive. No way we could have made it home in my van. We had to leave it in town, and Betsy's car too. There were wrecks everywhere, roads and bridges closed, cars in ditches to drive around, and the roads completely covered in ice and snow. We went to Mom and Dad's to get the little ones and to drop off Betsy. She couldn't get home and had to stay there. We couldn't get back to the party. We did play a tiny bit outside before it got completely dark. It was so cold we didn't last long. I wasn't very prepared for the snow, Phoebe and Owen need snow boots. Chloe needs snow pants. Owen is wearing the same snowsuit he's had for three years. Phoebe's snowsuit is too short. They love the snow! Next trip to the store I'll get them some snow duds.

In this first pic, Phoebe is hugging Chloe as they go down on the sled. She isn't afraid, but I told Chloe to hold Phoebe as they went down, and Phoebe thought it meant to assume the hug position.





Church is cancelled today, so we're all in together for a cozy day. It snowed more last night. It's windy and cold. A good day to be stuck inside! And drink hot chocolate.

3 comments:

Miss Lisa said...

It does seem like an inside day--stay warm :)

Unknown said...

Snow! How fun!

I am so freaking jealous. You'd think I'd love the 70 degree sunny days, but they get old. Fast. We even went to the beach this weekend. In shorts. Yuck. Doesn't feel very Christmassy.

SaRaH said...

LOL! I'm sorry it was a difficult day, but think I want to move to your cozy little town. I want my aunt to have a shop in town. A candy store, I think...