Friday, January 30, 2009

I love electricity!

We finally lost our power. It went off Wednesday evening about 5:30 as Danny was going to work. He went out to the garage and came back, saying he couldn't leave us alone with no electricity in the bad weather. He ended up taking off the rest of the week. Our power just came back on this afternoon. We only had school on Monday. Nothing has melted, it is still snow and ice everywhere. We'll get out this weekend to stock back up because another snowstorm is predicted for the beginning of next week. The electric came back on about 2:00 this afternoon (Fri).

We used our gas heater (normally we heat with an electric heat pump) and blocked off the kids rooms and the back room with our computer. The kids had fun sleeping in their sleeping bags in the living room. I cooked on a campstove. Thankfully we have a small generator that we used to keep the refrigerator running, watched tv, and used one lamp. We don't have any water when our electricity is out, so we used water we had in jugs in anticipation of the storm, and Danny got water from a spring in the woods to flush the toilet. I warmed up water to wash everyone off with. As soon as the electricity came back on today I took a bath and washed my hair. I did dishes and laundry very happily. There are still thousands without power and it's going to be in the teens tonight.

Chloe and I worked puzzles and we played games. The kids played with their Nintendo DSs and we charged them using the generator's power. They got a little wild in the evenings, but were good over all. Owen worked Legos and they could still watch cartoons. Phoebe played with Chloe and Owen and we read books and played with her toys. She couldn't quite understand it all. The first night around 9:00, she went over to the lamp to turn it on. When I took her to the bathroom, she'd say "I can't see anything in here!". She tried to watch a movie and kept saying "I can't push play!".

It's easy to take it for granted, but I am so happy about the electricity tonight!

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Welcome back! Oh gosh I don't know what I would do if we lost power that long. You're soo lucky you have a generator!

SaRaH said...

So glad you pioneered your way through! It's so easy to take for granted -- when we lose our power, I'm astounded at the effect it has on our life.