Friday, September 5, 2008

I sank your battleship

Today I bought a Battleship game at a yard sale. It was my favorite game when I was younger. I got excited when I saw it, and can't wait to play it with Chloe (and Owen can help). When Owen got home from school he wanted to play with it. He thought it was cool just to play around with. I was explaining the way the game goes and to win you sink the other players' battleships. His worry wart side came out and he said, "Are those guys wearing life jackets?".

I don't know why he is such a worrier, but he is. To the extreme. I could go on and on about it. I can't go out on the porch, or to get the mail from the mailbox, out in the yard, or anywhere without him coming with me or he freaks out. He doesn't want to be alone. He worries about Phoebe and Chloe, and other people too. As an example, when we were at the beach there was a ride where kids could ride a "bull" that they rode rodeo style to see how long they could stay on. It was inside a little inflatable rink. As soon as Owen saw it he said, "I am not doing that". Chloe wanted to and he said to me, "She better not!". When Phoebe is ten feet from our road he'll start yelling hystercially for her. (Never mind he'd tackle her to keep her from getting in the road and nearly kill her by trying to save her from the road.)

Today I picked them up from school because I had a meeting there close to the end of school. Owen was nervous about the change in routine and was very worried. I sent a note to the teacher and explained it all to him a million times. When I went to get him this afternoon, his teacher said he'd been worrying about it for an hour. He wanted to know if Chloe was coming to get him. He waits anxiously for her in bus line every afternoon. I hate that he gets so nervous. I don't know where the feelings come from, or what to do about it.

For now we'll play Battleship and hope the guys are wearing lifejackets.

2 comments:

SaRaH said...

I loved battleship! Owen seems so empathetic, intuitive and intelligent. If teh worrying doesn't bother him (stomachaches, etc.), maybe its just part of how he's made?

Miss Lisa said...

Oh he's so thoughtful--my girls would NEVER say that!