Monday, November 9, 2009

Miserable or Joyous?

I love this quote by Haim Ginott. It is so moving to me. It applies to me as a teacher, and also as a mother.

"I've come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It's my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child's life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or de-humanized.” ~Haim Ginott

I hope and pray I'm the teacher who makes children's lives joyous (at least when they are with me). I want to inspire, humor, and heal.

I know at our home that how I react to something is how my children react to it. If I am freaked out by something, the whole house is in a frenzy. If I am in a bad mood, so is everyone else. If I am happy and joyful, so are they.

I'd much rather be joyous than miserable anyway!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Totally true. Kids soak up the vibes we give off and definitely take things to heart. I am sure that you will be a force of happiness, healing, and learning for your students!

Lolita Breckenridge said...

What a great quote. And your kids - all of them - are very blessed to have you teach them.

SaRaH said...

You're a wonderful mother and teacher.

Dawn said...

I feel confident that you bring joy to all you are around!!