Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Winter Storm

Much to the kids delight, we are in the middle of a winter storm. We have 6 inches of snow right now, and are getting freezing rain now with more ice to come, and then more snow tomorrow. I like the snow, but ice is scary. I hope we don't lose our electricity. In 2003 we had a terrible ice storm and didn't have power for 10 days. We could hear trees snapping everywhere. It was so surreal. I was pregnant with Owen and ended up in the hospital (with what turned out to be a urinary tract infection) one night. They hooked me up to the non stress test where I laid in a warm bed watching tv. I so wanted to be admitted. :) We stayed most of those ten days with my parents, who had no power, but at least had water and a couple gas heaters. Danny had to use a chain saw and cut trees out of our road just to get us to Mom and Dad's a couple miles away. The whole time trees and limbs and power lines were just snapping. Dad warmed us water on the grill outside and we cooked on the grill and a campstove. We had plenty of food and ate lots because we had to eat what was in the fridge or freezers, or lose it all. We worked several puzzles. Chloe had a blast and said she was like Laura from Little House on the Praire. We've since put in a small gas heater but haven't had to use it. We have a small generator now too, or if all else fails we could stay in the camper until it's gas ran out. But, hopefully it won't come to that!

Here are some pictures from this morning.





1 comment:

Dawn said...

I love that first picture!!